Thursday, January 8, 2009, 4:35 PM
How To Wear Your ClothesHave you ever seen somebody walking down the street in a completely fabulous outfit, and think to yourself, "Wow, they look great! I'm totally going to do that myself!" So you go and recreate the outfit for yourself, only to discover you look like a small child playing dress-up, thus retreating into your everyday jeans-and-tee-shirt combo, all the while wondering what went wrong.
(or, how to look great no matter what)
Here's a secret: Nothing went wrong. The outfit just wasn't "YOU!" The real key to look great all the time, is knowing your style and being confident in what you wear. Sure, it's easy to dress in head-to-toe Abercrombie (or Hot Topic, or Macy's, etc. etc.), but wouldn't you much rather develop your own style, and enjoy shopping from a multitude of stores, rather than trying to fit into one cookie-cutter image? Here are a few tips for developing your style.
1. Play around! Unless you're 100% sure of what kind of style you want/consider "you," take chances and have fun with your fashion. Maybe you'll end up really digging baggy pants with chains, or you'll love the prim-and-proper feeling you get when you deck yourself out in pink, preppy essentials. Try different things and take note of what you feel the best in.
2. Take the time. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that fashion is easy and comes naturally to everyone, because it doesn't. Looking fashionable can take effort and time, but once you've got yourself down pat, it becomes easier to put together outfits you'll feel amazing in. When you've got free time, take time to put together new outfits using things you've already got. You could take pictures of these outfits, so you can refer to them when you think you have nothing to wear. If you don't have access to a camera, try polyvore.com.
3. Keep a style diary. Every day, write down what you wore and how it made you feel. You may realize that when you wear neutrals, you have bad days, and when you wear bright colors, you're much happier. Then you can focus on buying the things that fit into these categories.
4. Get a second opinion. If you're not sure about something, ask a friend or somebody close to you. They'll be honest and help you come to a decision. But always remember, if you think it doesn't look good or you absolutely love it and someone disagrees...you're the one who has to wear it, not them! Always trust your gut.
5. Quality over quantity. Invest your money in pieces that will last for years as opposed to just a few months. Similarly, if you have clothes that are damaged and you're unable to have them fixed, just get rid of them. They look bad and probably don't make you feel very good, either.
6. Find your style muse. This is someone whose style you admire, usually a celebrity. I find it wisest to choose one who looks a bit like you. To find photos of their style, search their name in Google and pick a fan site. These usually have an abundance of paparazzi photos, so you have more outfit ideas.
7. Accessorize! You can make any jeans-and-tee combo exactly you with just a few "just-right" accessories!
Saturday, January 3, 2009, 10:12 PM
Spring 2009 TrendsFor many of us, as soon as the holidays are over, we begin craving springtime and the amazing fashions the warm-weather brings. Unfortunately, some of us have a few weeks left before we can wear these without freezing. Read below for some upcoming trends in Spring 2009, and how you can work them into your winter wardrobe.
Spring Trend #1: Distressed Jeans
Spring Trend#1: Distressed Jeans by BrookeBabyy
To make distressed jeans more appropriate for cold weather, pair them with a chic, graphic top and a cardigan in a bright color. Add colorful bangles, sandals or boots depending on the weather, and you've got yourself an easy, everyday outfit!
Spring Trend #2: Floral Dress (Part One)
Spring Trend#2: PartOne; Floral Dress by BrookeBabyy
Pair a floral dress with dark colored tights, a cardigan, and sandals to winterize this spring outfit. In warmer months, wear the dress and sandals sans cardigan and tights. A few simple accessories, such as a chain necklace, beret, and clutch in a bright shade make this outfit fabulous.
Spring Trend #2: Floral Skirt (Part Two)
Spring Trend#2: PartTwo; Floral Skirt by BrookeBabyy
Similarly to the floral dress, pair with dark colored tights and booties. A sweater in a bright color with a tank top underneath adds just the right amount of color, and will still be appropriate on cooler spring days.
Spring Trend #3: Romper
Spring Trend#3: Romper by BrookeBabyy
Pair a romper with a long-sleeve shirt for warmth. Wear with flat, knee-high boots and knee socks that peek out just the smallest amount from the boots. Bright accessories add color to an otherwise neutral outfit, and the earthy feel of wooden bangles add a very on-trend feel.
Spring Trend #4: Graphic Dress
Spring Trend#4: Graphic Dress by BrookeBabyy
Perfect for spring when worn alone, and even better for winter when paired with the right items. Add a long-sleeve top, tights, and cardigan for warmth. To up the cool factor, choose a scarf in a bright color, a bag in dark shade (but not black, brown, gray,) and peep-toe heels.
Spring Trend #5: Peasant Blouse
Spring Trend#5: Peasant Blouse by BrookeBabyy
To rock this look in the spring, pair the blouse with an A-line skirt to balance out the flowiness. For winter, pair it with a long-sleeve shirt worn underneath and skinny jeans. Add a cool beret, the highest heels you can manage, and a statement bag for an easy, "I just threw this together" look. A tweed jacket helps keep you warm and stylish.
Friday, January 2, 2009, 11:37 PM
January 3, 2008Hello, gorgeous! I understand that my profile has been set to private, so some of you were unable to view Vogue It Up. I believe that this has been fixed.
Now, I realized that this post comes three days after the new year, but I've decided to post my fashion resolutions anyway!
1. NO MORE SHOPPING!
As much as it pains me to say, and even more to actually do, it has to be done. As a college student on a budget, I just don't have the funds right now to appease my shopping bug. Also, this will help me break the nasty habit I have of buying cheap, trendy stuff, as opposed to well-made, classic pieces that are the basis of a good wardrobe. So, until June rolls around, I will not buy anymore clothes.
2. Buy flats.
I'm not much a flat kinda girl, and even less of a sneakers one, but I have to admit it: flats are practical. While my hot pink 4" pumps may look adorable, they're not the smartest choice for running around campus. So, I vow to find a few pairs of flats that I don't hate!
3. Invest in good, quality pieces.
I intend to do this slowly, over the summer. (If I can make it six months without shopping, my boyfriend promised to take me on a shopping spree. Isn't he amazing? ) I need to make a list of what I want(/need,) and what I already have. Then I'll decide which stores have the best quality for the price I'm willing to pay, and when it actually comes down to it - PURCHASE THE ITEMS! This part will be the hardest. Dreaming of good-quality, well-made, more expensive items is one thing, but actually plunking down the cash for them when you're used to Wet Seal is another.
4. Figure out what my style is.
I tend to bounce around a lot, from rocker-chick to preppy to girly. I've noticed that I certainly feel better in some items as opposed to others, so I'll spend the next six months experimenting and figuring out what works for me.
So, darling readers, what are your fashion resolutions for this year? Let me know in the tagboard to the left!
Thursday, January 1, 2009, 3:44 PM
January 1, 2009Hello everybody, &welcome to Vogue It Up! This blog will be about personal style, runway fashion, the latest trends, etc. etc. If you have suggestions, be sure to let me know either in a comment or the shout box to the left!
Before I beging posting, I've decided to take the time to show off a few of my favorite blogs. These blogs have inspired not only my style, but also inspired me to start this blog! So drop by, read a few entries, leave a comment or two! Enjoy!
1. A Diva's Daily Wear
This blog is a "day by day fashion development of a 20-something diva in the making." It follows the day-to-day fashion choices of Katie. Not only are her choices extremely cute, but Katie herself is very inspiring! At only twenty years old, she is already married and has a job running a real estate company. How's that for inspiration?
2. Domestic Sophisticate
This blog is about "young moms on a quest for fashion and beauty." Rather than falling into the fashion slumps that so many associate with motherhood, this pair of sisters started their blog to challenge themselves to continue dressing their best, despite being Stay-At-Home-Moms. They are often on budgets, so their shopping tips are great for those of us without an endless income!
3. Go Fug Yourself
Because fugly is the new pretty! A hilarious blog filled with celebrity photos and "cracks" on their fashion choices.
4. Karla's Closet
"A blog oozing with inspiring pictures, clippings, and personal photographs to make your life a little more fashionable." Karla's fashion isn't always the most conventional, but it's always gorgeous and definately fashion-forward!
5. Sea of Shoes
Jane is a sixteen-year-old fashionista with a closet full of those items the rest of us can only lust over. Whether you love her style or hate it, you can't help but be enchanted.
6. What I Wore Today
Follow Kasmira as she posts her daily outfits. Sometimes quirky and always fun, Kasmira is a great source of inspiration.
7. Strawberry Kitten
It's just so cute!
8. Gym Shoes and Jimmy Choos
Finally, a fashion blog aimed at teenagers! Zoe takes all the latest trends and shows you how to work them into your wardrobe, even on a budget!
9. The Look for Less
Do you have a star whose style you wish you could emulate? This is place for you!
A great source for learning all about the latest trends, where to buy the best basics, how to dress up that little black dress for a holiday party, and more!
InformationVogue It Up
January 1, 2008// V.1
AboutWelcome to Vogue It Up, a blog about personal style, runway fashion, etc. etc.
Only the bestvintage blood.fashion[is]ta
Want to see your URL here? Leave a comment!
ShoutMix chat widget
Resources: 1 2 3